Friends and Neighbors,
On Thursday, July 6, 2017, I was a Harambee Reader with Freedom Schools of Charlotte, an absolutely fantastic non-profit academic summer program for the neediest children in our community. Please learn more, support them, and at very least sign up to also be a reader, the best 30 minutes you can spend this summer. More information at http://freedomschoolpartners.org/ They need readers at the following locations and times:
- Pinewood Elementary School (805 Seneca Place): Friday July 21
- Rama Elementary (1035 Rama Road): Friday July 7, Monday July 24, Tuesday July 25, Wednesday July 26
- Reid Park Academy (4108 W. Tyvola Road): Monday July 10, Wednesday July 20, Thursday July 27
- Sedgefield Elementary (715 Hartford): Thursday July 27
- UNCC Center City (Brevard & 9th): Thursday July 27
Friday, July 7, 2017, at noon, I will join friends and fellow candidates at the Mecklenburg County Board of Elections, 741 Kenilworth Ave, Suite 202, in support of their filings for local office: Kenny Smith for Mayor (www.electkennysmith.com), John Powell (votejohnpowell.org) and Parker Cains for City Council at Large (parkercains.com), Tariq Bokhari for City Council District 6 (tariqscottbokhari.com) Daniel Herrera for City Council District 3 (danherrera.com), Sean Strain for CMS School Board District 6 (www.seanstrain.com), Rhonda Lennon for CMS School Board District 1 (rhondalennonforschooolboard.com), and various Town Council members in Matthews, Cornelius, and Huntersville. Please note: I do not know all of them are filing tomorrow at noon, but several are. Most importantly, I will also myself at that time file to be on the ballot this November to represent District 5 on the Charlotte Mecklenburg School Board. Please join us if you can in support! We all win TOGETHER!
Thursday, July 27, 2017, 5:15-6:15 p.m., Mark Newell, owner of The Lodge at Colony Place, 7725 Colony Road, will host a free meet and greet happy hour 5 (all financial donations sincerely appreciated). Likely to be the first of recurring campaign events there. We hope you can join us. For more information and to RSVP please see the website stephensonsforschoolboard.com and Facebook.
Other Save the Dates:
- Saturday, August 19, 2017, Freedom Park Playground Pavilion, Stephenson for School Board Back to School Supply Drive, collecting school supplies for the eight Title One schools in District Five.
- Early Voting: Begins October 19.
- Election Day: November 7, 2017
Please share this email and information with your friends. Please like and share on Facebook. Please consider donating even a few dollars as it will be much appreciated and wisely spent. Most of all, please commit to vote, and be sure your friends commit to vote, because 14% voter turnout is bad for us all.